Monday, May 11, 2009

Fargo Marathon Weekend

The Fargo Marathon weekend in my opinion is the premier weekend of the season for the Fargo Moorhead area. We started the festivities Thursday evening by going downtown Fargo to hang out at a community get together in the US Bank Plaza. Kriston and Dick Fisher enjoying the crowd and music.
Kriston ran the 1st leg of the marathon relay, Matt ran the 5k, I ran the half marathon and Ben was the number one family cheerleader as he is too big to run the kids events and is not interested in the 5k.Matt bettered his time from last year by over two minutes finishing the 5k in 22:47. That is just over a 7:30/mile pace. Nice work Matt! Matt had a friend who ran the full marathon and I think it sparked Matt's attention as he is now interested in training for the half in 2010.
I finished the half in 1:32:54. My advertised goal was 1:35:00 so I am happy with the results. Of course, there is always room for improvement. The majority of the group I train with all hit their time goals. It goes to show that all of the hard work keeps things predictable and pays off in the end.
I saw Kriston out on the course and she was nothing but smiles. Unfortunately I do not have a photo but she was with her running partner Cheryl Ross. Both were ecstatic with their first leg finish time. Nice!
Overall, the whole morning was a blast. For runners, the weather was perfect. One of these years it will be 60 degrees, sunny with no wind....maybe. All of the craziness out on the course is top notch. For those who are thinking about giving it a try, trust me, there will be no regrets.
Sweet Schwinn I came across out on the course as Matt, Ben and I backtracked the course cheering the full marathoners on. I had a Schwinn 5 speed Fastback when I was a kid, the gear shifter on the top tube. Man if I could have that bike back.
The city of Fargo threw a big party at the Fargo Dome Saturday evening. It was tagged as a post Marathon/end of the flood season get together. The Johnny Holm band rocked the house. Kriston and I were with a big group of friends right in the middle of the party - Great time!
Skip Fisher in the background.
The Wenzel boys spoiled Kriston for Mothers Day on Sunday as the sun was out and she was able to spend most of the day outside reading and doing her nails. A big dinner out followed by the Dairy Queen sealed the deal.
The first MTB race this coming weekend. Running will be just maintenance for awhile. My plan is to click into pedals considerably more for the rest of the summer.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Jay Richards said...

Nicely done Steve and the Wenzel family. Happy Birthday!!!