
I know that it is not the real thing, but considering it was the end of July, over 80 degrees and sunny I thought that this snow bank in the North High parking lot was a good deal. I still want to drive a Zamboni.

Friday night Ben and I made our way out to the Fargo Horse Park for opening night. Over 5000 people were there enjoying the perfect weather.

I am going to have to go to horse racing 101 because I know nothing of how it works. Ben and I stuck around long enough to learn the lay of the land and how to bet on a horse. We looked at the horses for the next race and chose based on Ben saying "I like that horse Dad". It was a good looking animal but did not get even close to winning.

Stopped over to Brian Smith's home where Ben was quickly attached to Bella the dog. Definite personality on this little guy. Brian has 4 sons under the age of 10, two dogs and a busy life.

Jamestown Saturday morning for the first annual
Pipestem Dam Trail Triathlon. I did not participate but was Matt's transition support. Matt had been eyeing the race
flyer for a couple of months and decided on his own that he wanted to participate. I have not seen the official results as of yet, but I would estimate about 30 entrants overall.

Getting ready for swim leg of the event. 500 yards out against the wind, 500 yards back.

Matt took the hole shot (can you say that in a swimming event?) and swam strong. All of the swimmers had a tough time going straight due to the swells in the water not allowing the
buoy's to show very well. Matt was the first one out of the water.

In the back ground, is some sort of deal for the reservoir. The locals told us that during the spring flood that the water was where
Kriston is pointing - really deep.

Matt was not real happy with his swim/biketransition, but he was able to reel the 3 guys in that made it out of the chute first. The
Pipestem mountain bike system is a challenging set of long climbs and steep descents which will wear a person out quickly. Luckily it was not very hot which helped greatly. I was able to get out on the course just long enough to snap a photo of Matt pounding up one of the climbs. Matt had raced this course in the past so he knew what he was in for - 15k total on the bike leg.

Matt was the first one in on the bike too. When I saw him on one of the flatter sections he was in the big ring flying, doing what he could to get a gap on what he knew would be his weakest leg - the run.

Beautiful course! Matt made it out of the bike/run transition quickly and was shooting for consistent mile times hoping that the gap he created on the swim and bike would help maintain his lead.

Matt finishing up the run. Tired legs but a smile on his face.

Matt was caught by two guys on the run section but ended up finishing third overall. For his first big event solo like this he should be very proud, I know that Kriston and I sure are. It was tough for me not to compete, but I would still be in the lake trying to swim - this was Matt's deal. All of his goals were met and he understands that work needs to be done on the run.
We had a nice day in Jamestown. Well organized event that I am sure will grow when the good words get out there.
Ben went to the lakes with a friend, Kriston was with us for the total "Mom" support. Matt is tired and ate all the way home.
2 comments:
Way to go Wenzel's!!!
Hey Steve!! It was great to have Matt in the race on Saturday. What a bike leg he put in, wow!! He will be very hard to beat when he gets his run down. Thanks for making the trip and the encouragement!!
Post a Comment