Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th

I posted about the Cooper Hawks that are in our neighborhood a couple of months ago.  Update.....there are three of them around but that is about the only birds that you see.  No Robins, Sparrows or Finches that typically live in Kriston's flower pots are here.  The Doves that have sat on our wires all summer long since we moved in are gone.  The hawks are killing machines for sure.  Anything that comes around is taken down almost immediately.  Some of the neighbors have taken notice too.  Not much we can do but see how it turns out in the long run and if they will be back again next year.
4th of July was spent at the Tim and Tracy Roche cabin up on Maplelake east of Grand Forks.  The Roches have a big bash every year with over 50 people showing up for the pig feed and adult beverages.  Weather was perfect this year!
I heard about this 4th of July oddity and needed to try it out.  For $5.95 you get this lantern deal that uses a wax igniter to heat up the inside allowing it to go up in the air like a hot air balloon.  Matt and I read the directions closely and it worked perfectly!  Once it took off, you could see it flying for over 5 minutes.  Very cool.
When you go to the Roches the majority of the kids there are good swimmers.  Tim Roche was throwing out the distance across the lake anywhere from 4oo to 600 yards.  Perfect swim distance if you are so inclined which I wasn't.  Tim and I used the tube to guide the group across.  It took only 6 minutes 30 seconds to cross so I don't think it was quit 500 yards, but by the time they swam back there were some tired kids.  I ran long yesterday and took today off guilt free!!
Ben ripping it up on the tube.  Ben is a pro at hanging on through some of the craziest waves.  Tim tried hard to make him fall but he held strong.
Two great days at the lake.  The Roches are excellent hosts that make you feel more then welcome.  Time to go back to work.

No comments: