Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rollag

As posted last week, Wednesday is the weekly pilgrimage out to Rollag, MN.
With the snow that Maplelag was pounded with last weekend, Jay's single track was not even an option. Once again, the weather was not really cooperating. The wind was strong from the SE which to me is a good thing as I would rather get the wind out of the way first and double time it heading back. The temperature was 52 degrees that felt more like 42 degrees with the wind, but it is all good. There are many times that you have to race in all conditions so you have to train in all conditions.
The typical hard cores were there plus a couple of new faces. The photo above is a representation before things got crazy. Usually we are a bit more haggard looking and not so close together. Snow still in the ditches as this area received 15+ inches of snow last weekend.


Chad Weisgram. Back in the saddle after a mishap with a hockey stick a couple of weeks ago - riding strong.

My Garmin registered a max HR of 169. That is high for me. I can remember when I tapped that out too. Riding up the last really tough hill before the final leg to Rollag, things were breaking up and I was doing everything I could to hang on without falling off. There were a couple of riders that I miss-judged and I had to pull back. With that, I had to watch Kevin Fitz continue the pace, I was cooked and destined to play catch-up for the last 3 miles. The graph on my HR shows the effort and my legs felt it today every time I get out of my office chair.

Full weekend planned with running and riding. I plan on taking it a bit easy tomorrow followed by a long run from the Fargo Dome on Saturday. Sunday the weather is scheduled to be nice so a long road ride will be in order.

One more week until the Spring MTB opener down in Minneapolis. First of the season is always fun to look forward to.

No comments: