
I have held off from running all week due the guilt of knowing if I have time to run and use that energy I should be helping someone save their property. But Saturday afternoon the city was in "watch and react" mode and Tom
Clow and I ventured out for a nice mellow long run. You can not help but pass some type of flood carnage as you go through town. Tom is standing in front of a line of
Hesco barriers in and along the Fargo Country Club. The sand filled barriers are portable quick set up deals that are filled with sand by loaders. In essence big sand bags in a row. According to the information that I have heard, the majority have been placed on frozen ground which allows the water to seep through - hence the sand shored up at the base as seen in the photo.

Rick
Laliberte called me Saturday afternoon from where he had been stationed since Thursday of last week. He had been helping a family that lived down on the Wild Rice River keep things dry. Things had settled down enough where Rick felt comfortable to leave and be with his family,so he called me to pick him up. Wow is all that I can say about the water in and around the area. The photo above is looking north towards Fargo which is about 5 miles away.

This is the intersection of Highway 14 and Highway 81. I am turning north to
Cossett drive where Rick is located.

This is the Red River flowing North. Dick Fisher, my son Matt and I were driving on Highway 81 north - Matt is taking the picture.

This is the entrance on
Cossett Drive looking West. I did not take my Land Cruiser any further because I could not see the road. Rick had been helping in the last house in the photo.
Sorry, I missed the shot of Rick hiking out in waders to the truck.
In talking to Rick, he said that when the water was rushing around the house on Thursday he had not been that scared/concerned since we were traversing a glacier out on Mount Adams in Washington state two summers ago. Rick is a level headed guy and I know how freaked he was on Mount Adams so I can imagine his sense of urgency at the moment of high water. Rick is a stand up guy. He knew his family was safe along with his house so he gave his time and effort in a tough time to help a friend.

This photo was taken while we were sitting idle waiting for Rick to walk to the truck. I am facing south and the water was rushing north east. The water was just over the top of my tire. It gives you a weird sense in your head with water rushing over the road going a different direction then you are driving. If you were not going over big ice sheets you could just barely see the yellow line in the middle of the road.

Looking North on highway 81 over the bridge that crosses the Wild Rice River. We ride our bikes over this bridge on a regular basis all summer long.

Heading west on highway 14. This guys motor home will need a little work before he can use it next summer. I have a tough time taking photos of peoples
demise, but I want to show what is going on out there.
I had not made my way this far south during the flood and this trip was a real eye opener.
Lots of water that still has to funnel through Fargo. It is going to be a long week.
1 comment:
Nice flood pix from south of town Steve!
Post a Comment