Sunday, July 6, 2008

Busy Weekend

A busy holiday weekend. It started out Thursday evening with Mike Maluski and Wayne Schwartz coming over for dinner. I graduated from high school with both of these guys. Mike moved onto Arizona with his family and Wayne stuck around town. I bump into Wayne once in awhile, but I see Mike only once a year when he typically comes home during the summer. We rekindled a bunch of old lies from back in the day. It was nice to see both of them!
Friday morning I ran the MSUM annual 4th of July 10k. I do my best to hit this race every year. Mark Rice always does a great job. Lots of runners, beautiful morning.

Island Park Pool - Friday afternoon. Matt mastering a back flip.

Ben following with a flip of his own. For the first hour, we were almost the only guys in the pool. We had the diving boards to ourselves and made the most of the "air show". Fargo on the 4th is a great place to hang around. The town dumps most of the people that go to the lakes which makes everything peaceful and the streets empty.Saturday morning we made our way out to Sabin, MN for the 3rd annual GPCC False Flat Time Trial. I have been the race director for the last two years with Kriston, Matt, Ben and Dan Seymour always being a big help. The photo above has Kriston running command central. There always seems to be a few glitches, but overall the race went off very well. I took a chance this year and actually raced. So did Matt. 7-1/2 miles south and 7-1/2 miles back. The wind was tough going south but the sails went on and we hammered back.
Rick Laliberte and Kriston at the start of the TT. Rick did not race this year which in turn allowed him to help me out big time. His wife Marilyn rode with Rick's TT bike and said that she had a buzz for 3 hours after the race she had so much fun. Looking forward to next year.
Saturday afternoon right after the race we went up to Maple Lake to visit Tim and Tracy Roche at their lake place. Pictured are Kriston, Tracy Roche and Leith Devier. The Roche's have an annual party that included a pig roast, lots of beer, games and the telling of a lot of lies. We spent the night that lead into a great day Sunday on the water tubing, fishing and just enjoying the sunny skies. The batteries on my camera died or I would have had more photos.

Overall, we had an eventful weekend! A running race and a bike race in two days with a bunch of humor and good times mixed in. It will be nice to go back to work so that I can slow things down a bit.

No comments: