Sunday, September 14, 2008

PBSF

Since I did not get a golden ticket to the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival in Hayward, WI there was a big open spot on my calendar. A free weekend with no racing scheduled is a good deal but we were really bummed that we did not make the trip east. Jake Richards from Maplelag won the Cheq. Short Fat! Read Jay's report.
We took advantage of the free time, packed up and headed to Paul Bunyan State Forest. We were even able to bring Ms. Holiday Inn with us! Kriston is a good sport and had agreed to go knowing that her boys would spoil her rotten. The weather was perfect! Clear skies, light wind, no bugs and a scheduled full moon. Our first camping spot was taken so we headed for plan B which in my opinion is better anyway. The DNR cut a big open spot in the forest which makes for a perfect setting
We ate like kings, all cooked over the campfire. Kriston did not leave her chair which was the plan from the start as we want her to come with us again in the future. Kriston slept in a tent with the dog, the boys and I slept under the stars by the fire.

I have been coming to this area for over twenty years. I thought that I had heard and seen just about all the the creatures that live here. Man, I woke up at 2 in the morning to a noise that I had not heard before. I knew there were coyotes around, but what I heard did not sound like the typical howls that I had heard in the past. Hard to explain, it was not a howl but more of a scream/whine combination. I did not hear it again so I went back to sleep until 5:30am when the same noise started this time a lot closer, to the south boundary of the opening. I got up and added wood to the fire still not too concerned. By this time both boys had heard it as did Kriston. The noise continued for the next hour, circling the entire area where we were - way cool experience. The only thing that I can think is that Piper was with us in Kristons tent. Piper did not make a sound but I am sure that the wolves that were circling knew that she was there, who knows.
Matt and I were feeling sorry for ourselves for not riding Cheq. but we made up for it by riding over two hours on some of the best single track in the country! Kriston and Ben were going hiking so all was good in camp. We did the same loop that we did with the Ellefsons last spring only we linked it with more single track and less road. A perfect two hour loop that mixes old track with the new, technical enough to keep it interesting and beautiful scenery.As you can tell by the smile on our faces, we were having a great time. In fact it was the best ride that I have had in the PBSF to date! As mentioned, I have been coming to this forest since 1989 and have ridden with dozens of riders on both bikes and motorcycles. Matt is 14, strong as a bull and has the skills to ride technical single track - what else can I say as we rode together the whole time with Matt usually pushing me or pulling away on the downhills.
Some of you out there reading this will recognize this photo as it is the power line section of the PBSF. Lots of erosion with the steep hills and gravel/sand soil so the DNR finally closed it. There have been a lot of changes with the trail system over the last five years from signage, trail maintenance and trail segregation between ATV's and motorcycles. Hopefully people follow the rules set up so that we do not see more signs like the one above. The last I checked my mountain bike does not have a motor on it - bikes are good!!
Kriston mentions these flowers every time we drive by. This farmer east of Moorhead has planted a row going north and west as long as I can remember. Kriston appreciates things like this, puts a smile on her face - that is good.
Leah Swedburg's 30th birthday party last night at the Winery in Fargo. The ladies above were all part of the RAGNAR running relay that took place in WI in August. I am still waiting to hear the details about this trip.........

No comments: