Sunday, September 21, 2008

Double Race Weekend!

Schedule for this last weekend was to double up on the races down in St. Cloud, MN. Saturday was the Single Track Escape mountain bike race and Sunday was the Pork Chop Challenge cyclocross race. Both Races were sponsored by Revolution Cycles. Kyia and Evel were big time involved and deserve a huge thumbs up. I know that setting up a race is tough work, but two separate events in one weekend is a major undertaking - good people. Excellent volunteers and organization for both events!
Matt, Ben and I headed down in the F150 race machine. Sucked a lot of gas pushing the wind on the way down but we were set with the room in the back for two bikes each.
Perfect weather, big Sport Class - Matt setting up with a huge grin on his face!
This photo was shot by Ben when I was out racing. Matt snagged a chunk of granite (really cool awards by the way) for being the top Junior rider - sweet!
Matt on the podium with Shay. Last time these guys battled it out, Shay was on the top as they have been going back and forth all season. Shay wins the award for coolest shorts. Nice work guys!
A little pre-race ritual taking place. Of course Ben took this photo.
The Red River CX race sponsored by the GPCC club was the same day and time as the Saturday race in St. Cloud. It was a tough decision for me to leave the team hanging back in Fargo, but I helped as much as I could earlier in the week and was confident that all would go smooth - which it did. I well report more on that when I find out more information.
I had never done this race before and was sucking as much information as I could from Matt Johnson and Matt Wenzel after their race. Lot's of single track was the word and that is what I like!
As usual, I had a slow start even though I had a strong warm-up. Knowing there was about a mile of ski trail before we headed into the single track, I pushed hard and passed two big groups before heading in. Man, what unfolded was some seriously buffed, smooth flowing single track! I was having a blast! I had no clue where to shift, what was coming or how far I had to go to finish the loop but it did not matter. Luckily there were not many traffic jambs and the slower guys were courteous and pulled over. The course designers threw in some very technical rock gardens that the Gunnar devoured. Overall I would say that over 90% of the loop was single track, hence the name! My goal was to stay consistent, learn the course quickly and keep it pinned the whole time. After the prologue and first loop I knew it was going to be a good day as I loved the course, it was not too hot and I was flying through the woods as fast as I could go. Towards the middle of the third and final loop, I was getting my rear tire rubbed by a guy that came on real fast. At first I thought it was Jeff Hall lapping me but it was a Comp rider that was dropping guys fast. After a few bumps I let him pass but stayed on his wheel and let him pull me along hoping that he did not get away. He was not as strong on the uphills as I thought that he should have been considering how fast he reeled me in. I told him that we had to go as there were other guys that were coming and I did not want to loose another place. After sitting too close for a couple of minutes I passed on a quick straight and took off finishing 20 seconds in front. After the disaster at Maplelag I was happy with the finish, 1st in my age group, 14th overall.
Jake and Jay Richard's raced Expert. Jeff Hall took that class overall. Jake beat his Dad in the top ten by two places. Of course Jay didn't care and was all smiles.
Ben clowning around at a store in St. Cloud. Ben didn't race, but was the lead support person and photographer. Kriston was busy in Fargo. We camped out at the Fairfield Inn - big time pizza feast followed by some ice cream. Both Matt and I left everything on the race course and were very tired. Sunday was another race.......
Pork Chop Challenge - Matt looking like a pro over the barriers. There was a long road section at this race. Matt used this big guy to draft going into the wind. That a boy! Matt held off a lot of the Juniors that he battled last year and ended up 1st in the Juniors 15 - 18. Matt is 14, and I am not sure how the rules work, but he races the age that he will be next year - 15. Matt had two very good days of racing - we are very proud!
The report for my CX day will be short and sweet....it was hot, I was tired and I had a bad day. It was the first time in my CX career that I did not make the top 25 racers. After the first page of results, you are listed as a bib number without a name, today I was a bib number. I started strong and was passing on the first two laps but then I popped like a bottle of champagne and was JRA (just riding along). Matt was ripping me big time as I passed telling me to get going but I did not have it AT all. I can say that I enjoyed the course and it was a great day and am looking forward to the next race that we attend in two weeks. It was nice to hang out with all of the Fargo racers and the people that you know from both racing series.

Overall great weekend with the boys! Life is good!

1 comment:

Kyia said...

Great to see you guy's. Thanks for coming down! Good luck to you all for the rest of the CX season