It was one of those weekends where the weather cooperated and the Wenzel's had a full plate of things to do. With Matt being gone and Kriston going back to work Thursday and Friday, I opted to take half a day off on Friday to spend with Ben.

Ben met me at the road going into the airport on his bike and we had lunch on the way home at Grand Junction. Those guys know how to make a sandwich.
Friday afternoon was consumed with home duties which was nice to get done before Saturday - man, Friday afternoons off would be the ticket over the summer. Will need to talk to the Weisgrams about that.
Friday evening we had the boys swim coach, Tallia Merits wedding. I always try and be a tough guy and skip out on most weddings, but was informed that this is one that I was going to. Luckily it was outside which made it bearable.
Saturday morning was off to give blood and mow Grandpa's lawn. The weather could not have been better.

After lunch on Saturday, Ben and I headed to the Red River for a canoe ride in a borrowed boat (thanks Linda). After meeting a couple of colorful characters where we put in at Johnson Park in Moorhead, we headed North. Kriston dropped us off and went home waiting for our phone call in a couple of hours. Ben had never seen the North side of Fargo/Moorhead from this point of view and he loved it. Two hours later and some fresh sunburn we pulled out just off of Broadway North, about 6 blocks from home - another excellent adventure.
In the early evening, Ben and I jumped into the F150 and headed from the lake. There was an MTB race Sunday at Mont Du Lac and we wanted to get the first leg out of the way since it was such a long drive. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting us drop in and use your place for the night.

Ben - cool guy in the C0-pilots seat on the way to Grandma's

One of my favorite races of the season, Mont Du Lac ski area just south of Duluth. Pulled the F150 into a parking lot pole position. I had plenty of rest the last two days, so I was ready. I slept well at Grandma's, ate great in the morning (thanks Mom!) and was ready to go. The course has a killer climb at the start and then hits the single track that goes on for miles. Very fun!!!!! I am a total advocate for my rigid 29'er, but will say that this course was not suited for my bike. Lots of exposed roots that pounded me from the start. I had the tire pressure right but could not get in the groove. During the first lap, the skies opened up just long enough to grease the course which I thought helped the cause - I loved the slippery conditions and used what technical skills I had to grab some places that I lost early in the race. Of all the races that I have done, I have never chatted with people so much. I rode with a group of guys running my pace most of the race and it was like sitting around the campfire telling our lives stories. A bunch of good guys.

Jake Richard's - Maplelag/Hollywood Cycles taking first place in the Comp. Sam O., Hollywood Cycles took first in the Expert followed by Jake's Dad - Jay coming in second. I finished first in my age group, 22nd overall - happy with the results. Good job to the promoters and all of the people who raced hard.

Ben was in charge of the camera today catching me at the finish.
A photo of the Queen of the House - Piper. If she is not stalking squirrels, this is her favorite position. Piper is a good dog.
Matt returned from his trip out East. I talked him into posting a report so will let him be in charge of that.
1 comment:
Hi Steve, It is so much fun for me, the grandma, to read about all the exciting things you, Matt, and Ben do, and the comments about Kriston. It sounds like Matt enjoyed his trip so much. Good job on swimming tonight guys!!
Post a Comment