Sunday, June 1, 2008

Beautiful Weekend

Considering the beautiful summer weekend that we were blessed with, I thought that I would share the above photo. Matt, Ben and I slept in this snow cave back in January 2004. It was negative 20 degrees outside when we went it and covered the hole. I had my watch hanging from the ceiling and it was 30 above degrees inside one hour after we were cuddled in. We had 4 candles going about 4 hours before we ventured in that warmed it up enough to make it bearable. Our body heat did the rest along with some warm Nalgeen bottles in our sleeping bags. Just another thing that Kriston shakes her head at when we try something this crazy. Definitely an adventure that we will not forget.
Busy weekend - the boys had end of school year parties, Kriston and I had graduation parties to attend and we had the typical home maintenance projects that needed attending to.
I was able to participate in the Lindenwood 10k on Saturday morning. Sunny skies and light wind, something that we have not been use to around here. I was not going to race hard, but I was able to pull off a 40:07. Other than a stop watch, I did not have any electronic gear on. I was not interested in my split or my HR. I ran the first 5K with Tom Clow and Ray Wohl. Tom was pulling strong and I did not think that I would be able to hold on, but was able to hang onto his draft through 5K, thanks Tom. I did look at my watch at the turn around - 19:45, ultimately I did not end with a negative split, but those are rare for me anyway. If I would have looked at my watch at the 9K mark, I might have been able to pull in below 40 minutes, but that is OK, it was a nice morning and there were a lot of people outside! LAP does a fine job putting on a race.
The weather was perfect both Saturday and Sunday which made it easy to be outside from sun up to sun down. I am sure that all of the graduating parents were pleased that weather was one last thing that they did not have to worry about. We ate good all weekend at various parties - time to get back to some healthy food.
Summer is here - Cheers!



No comments: