Lots of things going on last week at the Wenzel house!
Ben went to a swim camp out in Jamestown that started Thursday. He made it home Sunday night at 6:30. From the preliminary report, it sounds as though he swam for 5 - 6 hours a day on mostly the Freestyle which I guess is a good thing. Ben said the food was "AWESOME". Ben reviewed most of the menu and it did sound like on top of the swimming the food was the highlight of the camp. Good to have Ben home.
Matt and I headed out to Bismarck on Friday afternoon to race the 12 hour Race to Sunset at Sleepy Hollow Park. Tyler McKay from Mpls went with us in the F150. We met Matt Engen from Fargo out there which made up our team of 4. Tyler and I have done this race in the past, but Matt and Matt were in for something new. It is a mountain bike race that goes from 8:30 in the morning until 8:30 at night that we work as a team in taking turns riding the 3.4 mile loop.
The bummer of the deal is that when I went for my camera I noticed right away that it felt light and that I had left the battery in the charger at home. Bad deal. Therefore, no photos until later. I borrowed a camera, but will need the photos sent to me before I can post.
To sum it up, the race went very well for us! We were not really going into the event looking for favorable results as we new that there were going to be very strong teams and that not all of us were up to the fitness level that would produce good results. I was wrong. We were turning 20 - 22 minute laps consistently! At lap 21 I was looking at the results board and realized that we were in the hunt and needed to continue our consistent times. As the day progressed, our lap times were improving! Matt Wenzel was kicking butt! His times were in the low 20 minutes every time. He definitely added value to the group. Matt Engen and Tyler improved all day as well which put us in the third position by the end of the race. Nice work.
I was very proud of Matt Wenzel! I was keeping the option open to ride laps for him in the event he wore out in the late afternoon. Not only did he rip off fast times, there was not even a hint of him not doing his share. I attribute our success to eating and drinking properly in between our rides. No cramping or whining by any of us!
The guys in Bismarck put on a great race. Very well organized and a great course. John Morgans family was gracious enough to let us stay at their house for two nights. Thanks John!
Fathers Day! My boys surprised me with a great gift, a Garmin Nuvi 350. I am a gadget guy and this is a seriously cool gift! All you have to do is punch in the address and it takes you right there. Very cool. Thanks boys.
When I get photos, I will post more.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment