Monday, September 17, 2012

30 Years of Cheq!

I have lucked out and been able to get into the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival for the last 5 years straight.  For those who don't know, I compare it to getting the "golden ticket" as in Willy Wonka's movie.  This year just so happened to be the 30th running which made it that much more special in the fact that this event is still going strong as one of the top MTB events in the country.
Matt is at school in SD and Ben stayed home so it was Kriston, Gabi and I that made the trip east Friday afternoon.

I pretty much had all preparations for the race complete before I left Fargo.  Once I picked up my race packet and checked into the motel all that I had to do was relax.  Since they changed the gate requirements for the start I did not have to get out of bed at 4 in the morning to haul my bike to the start line.  I was in gate 4 which put dibs on a spot closer to the front.
The controlled start rolling out of Hayward, WI.  Prefect weather - 50+ degrees with a slight head wind.

In 2011 I dropped time from 2010 so my goal for 2012 was to drop some more time.  Therefore my plan was to start aggressive through the neutral rollout and then pick up speed as we hit the Birkie ski trail. The head wind kept things in check at the start and I was able to hold my position towards the front of the main group.
As we hit Rosie's field, the dust started flying and we were off and racing.  Once we were on the ski trail I was able to get into my groove and let things loosen up.  The ski trail is typically softer and causes you to waste energy if you do not stick to the single track lane down the middle of the trail.  I learned quickly that I was able to stay out of the single track and make up ground outside of the main line.  With the lack of moisture this summer the whole ski trail was like a paved road - fast!
As the race progressed I knew that I was having a good day.  My biking as been above average this year and I was ready to open it up and see just how far my fitness would go.  I had two water bottles and two gels.  I ate one gel at 10 miles and finished the first bottle by mile 20.  At mile 28 I had my last gel and was 1/4 through my 2nd bottle and I was having no problems with cramps or bonking.
I am not sure you are supposed to have that much fun on a bike.  I felt strong the whole race.
I was able to clean Fire Tower Hill and with 11 miles left I was able to hammer the big ring on the last section of gravel road while still catching and passing other riders.
The final section of the Birkie trail has some killer climbs but I was still feeling no pain.  There had been a logging crew that ripped up the last section of trail going into the Telemark finish, but it was all rideable and sweet knowing the last section to the finish was near.  In reality I wished the race would have been longer as I was still running strong and I did not want it to end.

I went through the finish line at 2:30.46.  10 minutes faster then 2011 and feeling no pain.  Maybe I should have ridden faster - pushed myself harder.  Looking back I could have hit the down hills harder. My Kona Hei Hei 29er in my opinion is the perfect bike for this race.  It rode flawlessly throughout all race conditions.  No mechanicals or flat tires.
Check out all of the results and some photos by hitting Skinnyski.com - click HERE
My Garmin data is HERE  The data shows that my HR was high but right in there for a race like this.  
Fellow Maplelag team member and good friend Matt Engen at the finish.  Matt has only missed a couple of the 30 total Chequamegon races.
It was different without Matt and the Richard's in attendance, but if I am going to drive all the way to Wisconsin I am going to ride as much as possible.  Sunday Funday is always a blast.  The added dangling carrot of riding 5 of the 6 events to throw your name in the hat for a guaranteed 2013 "golden ticket"was a bonus.  Not sure if I won that yet.

Of course I could not have pulled this weekend off without my bride Kriston.  She comes with a good attitude and is the ultimate race supporter!
It is always good to see friends that you sometimes only see once at year at this race.
Thanks to Gabi for all of the photos - she is the photo queen for sure!

No comments: