Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fat

ND Eastern Division Conference Swim meet last Saturday.  It was a looong day at the pool.  I have been the Fargo North boys high school score keeper up in the swim tower for the last 6 years.  That means that I am present for the whole meet including diving.  Makes for an intense day but I would have it no other way.  I get the best seat in the house, know all of the scores and stats first hand and get to interact with all of the coaches and swim meet officials.
Check out a good story and results by clicking HERE.
ND State Meet this weekend out in Mandan.  I will report on that next week.
Both Matt and Ben are fit and ready for the big weekend.  Matt being a senior has set some tight goals.  I have never seen Matt as wound up and intense about a swim meet. Bitter sweet is all that I can say as this will be it....end of story for Matt's high school swim career.  Time for another chapter and Ben still has 3 seasons left - all good.
With the swim meet Saturday I missed the Lotvolla Cup XC ski race up at Maplelag.  With the fresh snow that we were blessed with the conditions were mint.  I have skied this race most of the last 15 years, it was tough to miss.

Sunday Jay Richard's pulled another fun race out of his arsenal and scheduled the Obese 8 fat tire bike race.  With the fresh snow and lack of timing, the course was shortened up and modified to accommodate the new snow.
Kriston and I drove to Maplelag first thing Sunday morning.  I would say that 3"of new snow had fallen in Fargo before we had even left.  Made for a lot of drift busting over to Maplelag.  Kriston is a trooper.
Only 6 racers.  Not sure what the deal is with all of the local Fargo fat bike riders and why they were not there but they missed a good race.
Jay and Jake paced the race from a snowmobile pulling a groomer packing the course.  I learned quickly that if I followed the ridge in the corduroy left by the groomer I had a tightly packed race line.
Before the race I had 10 psi in my tires.  I learned that I could go lower and drop to 7 psi.  After the race I found out that I could have gone to 5 or less.  Tony Schmitz noticed by the tire tread pattern left in the snow that I had too much air.  So, now I know.
Tony Schmitz and I pre-race.  The Mukluk handled perfectly considering all of the new snow.  Absolutely no regrets in purchasing this bike.
A few additional photos on Skinnyski.

Great race and a great weekend.

No comments: