Monday, May 10, 2010

6 Hours on the Road

The plan was to blast down to Elk River to race the grass roots low key Hillside course on Saturday morning.  Matt skipped a track practice, I skipped my Saturday morning long run and Ben came along to be race support and hang out for the day.
I went on Skinnyski Friday evening to get the address to put on my Garmin for the exact location, all is good, we are ready to go.
Saturday morning we roll out of Fargo by 6:30 and had a nice drive down to just north of the Twin Cities.....gates closed and there are a couple of guys milling about wondering the same thing we were, what happened to the race?
Matt and I waited around for awhile before we decided to change into our kits and ride the course anyway. We did not want to drive all that way without at least a ride.  Not sure why the race was cancelled as the course was in excellent condition.  Sandy loam soil drains fast and the course was packed very solid.  Our bikes didn't even get muddy.
Matt and I rode for almost two hours loving the tight course that flows nice and smooth.  When we made our way back to the truck, Tom Warner was there talking to Benny.  Tom and Trent Warner live in Elk River and are associated with the course and the race so they knew what was going on.  The race was called off on Friday evening due to the all day rain that fell Friday.  Apparently the information was posted on the MORC home web page, not the actual race info link that I went to for race specifics.  Bummer.
We made the most of it by getting a nice ride in and we had lunch with the Warner's before heading back to Fargo.  Got in some quality windshield time with my boys and had a great day none the less.

2 comments:

T.Schmitz said...

Hey Steve, went online to check to see the results of the race and saw it was canceled. I was hoping to make it but we had a wedding to attend that day. I see they rescheduled for this Sunday the 16th. Might make it for that unless last minute Camping/Fishing/Canoe trip comes into play... but Hey, at least you got to ride!

Jay Richards said...

I know any event put on at Maplelag Steve Wenzel will b there rain, snow, ice or shine. Way to keep the wheels moving.