Saturday, May 29, 2010

Paul Bunyan Forest

Matt, Ben, Jon Darling and myself were scheduled to go out west to the Mah Dah Hey trail and ride this weekend, but with the weather scheduled to be crummy in western ND, we went to plan B and headed East up to Akley, MN into the Paul Bunyan State Forest and ride.  I typically do not let the weather dictate where we go, but considering the 5 hour drive each way it was an easy call.  The riding at Paul Bunyan is some of the best in the country.  I was in camp doing what I could to get other riders to come along and was able to hook Linda Cooper to join us.
As you can see by the photo, the weather is perfect.  Matt is getting ready to go.  JD is sporting a new Gary Fisher Top Fuel 100 29er and is for sure ready to go.
Considering we were staying a bit closer to home, Jon brought his son Eric along.  Eric and Ben spent their time between shooting BB guns and checking out the trails around camp.  Good to have them along.
Jon must have not tightened all the bolts on his new ride......ouch.  This was Jon's first ride on a 29 inch wheel.  After only a couple of miles he had it figured out and could appreciate the attributes of a bigger diameter wheel.
Jake Richard's won a set of 29er wheels for being a stud at Chequamegon a couple of years ago.  I made him an offer and now I am rolling a sweet set of HED Ardennes.  Smooth as butter.
Not a sign I really like to see in a State Forest, but I do understand.  Hopefully we do not loose our private spot in the future.
LC, JD and Matt taking a break.  Conditions in the woods were just about perfect.  Low insect count, not too dry and the single track was set up perfectly with very few down falls.

The front fork on Linda's bike was acting up so I offered up Ben's old Giant ATX - Linda has a smile and that must be good.  Linda is a strong rider and appreciates getting out in the single track once in awhile.

I always say that a trip cannot be epic unless someone breaks something or there is blood involved.  Matt  blew his chain during the ride which was a quick fix.  Matt must have too much torque...
Overall, we logged almost 3 hours in the saddle.  Of the 3 hours I would say that less then 1/4 mile was double track.  We had fantastic single track the whole ride!  I have been riding in the area for over 20 years and I am just as happy today as I was back then.  It is always hard to leave after such a great day.
We stopped briefly in Nevis, MN on the way to my Mom and Dad's lake place and spotted this guy who was about to hit the Northland Trail.  he was set up for the heat dressed all in white.
Finished off the ride with a boat ride, brats on the grill and Mom's kick ass brownies for dessert.  
The boys had fun, we all rode strong and we still have two days off to enjoy!

No comments: