
I tried something different today by riding my single speed to the office. I have been messing around with the gear ratios for the last couple of weeks and think I have found the right combination. I started out riding my Redline Monocog 29 with a stock gear ration of 32/16 that I found would spin out of control at 14 mph. With a bunch of trial and error, I am now riding a 36/14. As the photo shows above, I am rolling along over 15 mph and I can say that my cadence was just about right. Not sure I would want to ride this ratio on the trails, but since I plan on using this bike over the winter in town I should be OK. I am by no means an expert on single speeds and will be open to any advice out there.
Anyway, there was a seriously strong wind from the south today. I rode with Ben to school and then off to work. Pulling away from a stop sign takes a bit of pushing, but once I was up to speed things were fine.
I am starting to get a few looks while still riding this time of year. I am lit up like a Christmas tree and always have reflective clothing on. When the streets are plugged with snow, I might have to change my methods, but until then, drivers keep your eyes open.......
2 comments:
Good choice (1:2.57). I rode a 40:15 for several years in Fargo and have a 39:15 (1:2.6) on two bikes right now. Like you say, it is just a little harder than ideal leaving the lights, but allows for a nice cruising speed the rest of the time.
Thanks Keith, I plan on sticking with that ratio.
Hope all is well. Hard to believe that it has been almost two years since Matt and I were out your way for National CX. If you are in the area, make sure to give us a call.
Post a Comment