Rolled down to Basset Creek Park in Crystal, MN on Saturday morning for the MN State
CX Championships. Big event to cap off the
cyclocross season in MN. This is the 5
th straight year that I have done this race. Man, it has grown by leaps and bounds every year. Lots of shenanigans out on the course, tons of people, loud music and free beer which makes for an all out party.

Ben was a trooper and made the trip.
Kriston looked at the weather forecast and decided that she did not want to sit around and freeze all day, I do not blame her. Matt was attending the ND State Girls Swim meet in
Mandan. He was bummed that he missed the big day - next year.

Rick
Laliberte - I wanted to take the race machine (the beloved Ford F150), but Rick did not want to repack his picnic baskets of gear that would have blown around in the back of the pickup so we took his race machine (Subaru Outback). It was good to travel/spend the day with Rick as it
had been awhile. We gave each other a hard time all day. Ben sat in the backseat with his headphone on, probably a good thing....

Bruce from
Skinnyski took this photo of me working the only set of triple barriers. I raced the second of 4 races of the day, the 45+, 55+ and single speed class. There were 55 guys in our group that know how to hammer which made for a fun race. I was told that the course was two miles long which decreased the number of laps which was different but good. The Major Wood Production crew did a great job of
utilizing the whole park - switching things up from year to year keeps it interesting.

A sand volley ball court that to me was the highlight of the loop. The sand was almost hub deep. I used a line that was a bit left of the main track which seemed to work for me as I made it through without getting stuck every lap. You had to gain speed going into it and not let up on the pedal RPM through the whole deal that was probably 25 yards long total. Mountain bike skills helped in this section and I used it to make a number of passes.

This photo shows the famous Basset Creek Park run up. This is the lower section where the railroad ties are spaced just far enough apart so that you cannot double the step but you need to add a step in between making you even more tired.

Bruce from
Skinnyski took the photo above of me in the traffic on the stair climb sucking a lot of air.

Bruce caught Pat
Lemieux winning the A class - the big shot class! What an exciting race! Pat and Adam Bergman raced together throughout the race. Dewy was leading going into the last lap but Pat and Adam worked their way up passing Dewy at the top of the stair run up with Pat making a break and taking the win! Wow, I was totally happy for Pat and how hard he worked to not only win this race, but for the great 2008 season that he had.

Pat, post race with his Mom Jane and Dad Craig. It was a great deal to have them there to watch their son. Craig and I watched the race together, and Craig hollered to Pat a number of times to "race smart". Pat listened to his Dad for sure!
Bruce, thanks again for letting me borrow a couple of your photos, you do a great job covering events!
Sunday morning went for a long run with the North Fargo guys. 10.25 miles at a 7:38 minute/mile pace. I promised Gary Fisher that we would be running 10 miles at a 7:30 pace before Christmas - we will be there by Thanksgiving!
It is almost time to do a snow dance! Matt and Ben need to run around the house in their under ware - usually works...........
1 comment:
Snow dance for sure...Tighty Whities always produce large amounts of snow!!
Great racing you all!!
Post a Comment