Monday, November 22, 2010

12"

I woke up to the radio this morning at 5am.  The weather guys were saying that it was snowing lightly with 2 - 4" of new snow expected throughout the day.  I looked out the window at 5:15am and there was barely a wisp of snow dropping from the sky.  I strapped on my running shoes and stepped out the door at 5:25 and boom it was snowing big time!  By the time I finished my run there was ankle deep snow in my driveway - nice!
Needless to say, I have a tradition of riding my bike to work on the first "real" snow of the season.  I had put on my studded tires last night (Sunday) and was well equipped, but by the time I headed to the office there was in excess of 5" of light fluffy snow on the streets which made my traditional first snow bike ride "epic".  I should have counted, but I bet there were 50 comments today ranging from "you didn't ride your bike today did you" to "you rode your bike?"  I altered my route to keep from driving on the roads and had a blast navigating my way to the office.
As I write this, the reports on the news have Fargo receiving over 12" of snow today.  I did not ride home as I do have limits, but the plan is to ride home tomorrow.  Hopefully the streets clear out a bit.
Nothing better then having 2 - 4 inches predicted and receiving 3 times that!  We are blessed!
In anticipation of the upcoming snowfall I switched Kriston's summer tires and wheels over to her winter tires.  Kriston is good very good at piling the miles up on her car and already has 41,000 miles on her 2 year old Honda.  The stock tires are due for a change out.
The winter tires and wheels.  Cheesy stock wheels with rippin winter tires that should help Kriston out this winter.  Piper dog was not much of a help.
See, 12" of fresh snow.  There is another storm scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday of this week.  If the wind starts howling, all of this pretty powder is going to blow over to Moorhead.
I am a lucky guy.  I came home and Matt and Ben had pulled the snowblower out and cleaned the whole driveway and sidewalk.  Thanks boys.
As of 4 this afternoon Jay Richard's reported 8" at Maplelag.  Jay was out rolling his trails in anticipation of the additional snowfall this week and the upcoming long weekend.  My skis are ready to go!
We completed all of the outside preparation for winter stuff last weekend.  This plant held on because it looked cool.  I think it looks even cooler now piled with snow.
Cheers!

No comments: