Sunday, February 7, 2010

Great weekend of skiing. On Saturday evening I made my way out to Buffalo River State Park for the annual luminary ski event. Lots of work putting one of these on as there must have been over a hundred ice blocks with a candle in the middle. The weather was perfect!

Saturday, Feb. 6
Candlelight Ski/Snowshoe/Hike - 6-9 p.m. - Buffalo River State Park (Glyndon)

Two trails will be lit for visitors who will have their choice of skiing to their destination on the river trail or taking the alternate trail for those who prefer to hike or travel by snowshoe on the trail that extends from the park to Moorhead State University’s Regional Science Center. Participants will be treated to refreshments.

I listened to the weather forecast first thing Sunday morning to hear that there was a winter storm warning for the next couple of days but that things were not really going to start rocking until later in the afternoon so I was out the door early to Maplelag. I drove in snow the whole way but I could see just fine. There was about 2" of snow on top of what Jay Richard's had already groomed making for slow conditions but I did not care as it was beautiful.
The photo above is on the Mother North Star Trail looking back towards Maplelag.
For those of you who know the Maplelag single track, this photo is the section that ends on Mother North Star towards the end of the loop. In years past I have seen guys over shoot and blast into the pond on the other side of the ski trail. The trail sure looks different with 2' of snow on it
The trees are flocked perfectly with fresh snow. Conditions are going to be excellent when the snow stops and things settle down.
As expected, the drive home was worse. The wind had kicked up and it was snowing big time. Took a few extra minutes but made it home just fine.

Home projects in full force for the rest of the afternoon.
Matt is scheduled to take his drivers test tomorrow - hope the weather allows as he is due to drive on his own.
Cheers!

No comments: