Matt and I left for Colorado on Friday, August 7th. As mentioned in the previous post I am doing the Leadville 100 on Saturday, August 16. The goal was to hang around at altitude for a week in preparation for race day.

Putting fuel on someplace in western CO. Rolled out with Matt
Engen, Rob
Belz and Matt. On Friday we made it as far as North Platte, NE where we crashed at a Howard Johnson for 4 hours before slogging west.

We arrived in Aspen, CO on Saturday afternoon. The photo above is our view from the chair at our campground. 5 mile climb from the Aspen road up to the camp which was tough after a long day in the saddle.

The camp - National Forest 5 miles out of Aspen. The site was tight for the 7 guys that occupied. Matt and I did not even pitch a tent, under the stars for two nights. Frost on the pumpkin Saturday night but an almost full moon made for some good sleeping.

15 mile ride on Saturday evening. 5 mile downhill followed by a 5 mile up hill across and around Buttermilk Ski area. Between the altitude and the constant up hill grind - ouch. The first ride on the
Kona double squish was awesome! I was adjusting on the fly trying to figure things out but all was good. Will take some getting use to from the
Gunnar but I noticed right away that I needed to let the bike do the work.

A car at the campground with chicken wire all the way around. Apparently there was a porcupine roaming that would climb under the car and chew on the cables and hoses. We were not worried about it and found the chicken wire technique interesting, but did it work? Matt and I sleeping without a tent - no porcupines in our sleeping bags, no problems.

Swanky pedestrian bridge over a gorge North of Aspen. The town of Aspen is as Gucci as they get. Absolutely nothing lacking, the best of everything groomed to perfection. I did not see a cigarette butt or empty beer can for two days.

Sunday morning, making our way over to the next mountain,
Snowmass. Seven of us total, 5 off us riding
Leadville. From left to right, Jim, Rob, Jeff, Matt E, Matt W, and Brian.

Hanging around at
Snowmass. There was a national mountain bike race over the weekend that we went to check out. Saturday was the cross country race that Lance attended and won by over 3 minutes. Sunday was the downhill race, crazy course, crazy fast. Brian Ballard an old friend from MN back in the 90 was on the results page but I could not locate him.

Rode the Rim Trail outside of
Snowmass Sunday afternoon. Hot and sunny was the rule for the weather during the day. Long climbs followed by long downhills, what could be better?

Matt and I on the Rim Trail. Matt is riding very very strong. Two days of riding so far - 35 miles total, 6000 feet of climbing.

The weeks weapons all lined up in a row. So far no
mechanicals or major mishaps.

Monday morning we broke camp and headed to Crested Butte. Traveled over Independence Pass and Cottonwood pass, both over 12,100 feet high!

Tree line in CO is around 11,200, higher then what I am use to in MT but beautiful in absolutely every direction!

Heading into Crested Butte, mountain bike capital of the US. Two days of serious riding in one of the prettiest places ever. All of the magazine articles that I have read and now we are here.

Got checked into a condo at Mount Crested Butte. A shower and all the luxuries for a couple of days. We
were able to get in a very sweet 10 mile bike ride,
Snodgrass Trail in and around the loop above CB. 1000+
vertical feet of climbing.
An epic ride planned for tomorrow, 401 Trail - more on the next post......Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment