
Friday evening mandatory
pre-race meeting inside the
Leadville gymnasium. Place was packed with people to hear race directory Ken
Chlouber give his motivational speech on just how tough Saturday was going to be. His comment "don't quit, dig deep" stuck in my mind big time.

Friday was meant to kick up our legs around camp but it did not happen as all of us were preparing for everything required for the race. Numbers attached on all of the required locations, bike completely gone through - bolts tight, chain cleaned and lubed, tire pressure checked. I did not want to jinx myself so I did not change anything at all. The guys in my camp packed a bag to pick up at a
pre determined location on the course but I chose to go completely on my own. Everything I needed would be with me. I was confident that I could
McGyver my way through a mechanical and I was prepared for any kind of weather - easier for me and I can blame no one but myself if something went wrong.

6:30 am, shot gun start - man was I glad to get going!

Matt was out on the course shooting photos and got a bunch of sweet pro shots. Travis Brown sporting drop handle bars on his Trek Fuel. I saw Travis hammering down Columbine and was very impressed with his handling skills. Maybe I should try the drop bars??

The Boss, Lance Armstrong pounding away. You have to give the guy credit for showing up and opening up a can of whoop ass. Hmmm is he drafting off the back of that Sub?

LA finished 1st place with a 6 hour, 35 minute time. In addition he rolled in on a flat rear tire.

Dave
Wiens, 6 time winner came in 2
nd just under 7 hours.

Dave is a class act - lives in neighboring
Gunnison and is completely approachable, good attitude and all of the attributes required to promote the sport.

Yours truly coming to the finishing line 11:02:52.7. Lance had already helicoptered back to Aspen, had eaten and was sitting in the hot tub by the time I rolled through.
To sum things up, it was the hardest event that I have ever done but I had a blast! I was nervous big time all week beating myself up with what I should and should not have done to prepare. From my running and other crazy events I have done in the past I knew that the mental side of things played a big role in getting through this deal. I kept electronics to a minimum using only a trip computer, no HR monitor or GPS. I know my body well enough to realize when I am hitting the red line and when to hydrate and eat. Must have worked because my stomach was fine all day, I did not cramp and my legs stayed strong throughout.
What would I do different? This early after the event I am not exactly sure, but I do feel that considerable time could be dropped with specific training and preparation. Having one under my belt is a
definite advantage.

The silver buckle and
hoodie sweatshirt handed out at the awards ceremony Sunday morning. I am very happy I pulled it off, I would have a hard time coming home empty handed. I could just hear the group at
Rollag - ouch.......Oh, I did change something pre-race, I shaved my beard off the night before, anything for a little mo jo.

The whole group was rewarded! All off us made it without a mechanical, flat tire or launching over the handle bars. A great group of guys to not only ride bike with but to travel, tell lies, laugh our butts off, eat like kings and overall have a serious good time!
4 comments:
Sweet job Steve, great recap. I think TB stole the drop bar idea from Geno when he got schooled at Cheq.the year Geno won.
Great job Steve - Epic! Props to Matt for the cool pix!
Hey Steve congrats on the race man. As always great recap hope the recovery goes well!
That is a heck of an accomplishment Steve!! Congrats!!
Leadville is on my bucketlist of a race to do someday!!
Post a Comment