Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Random

12th Avenue North overpass that has been under road construction all summer. I have had to commute on a narrow sidewalk that ran right down the middle of the bridge throughout the whole process. Tuesday on the way home from work, most of the construction barriers were down. They were not allowing cars through, but a bike could roll right down the middle. In my mind, I was the first non-worker guy to roll over the bridge. Definite advantage of commuting on a bike.
Full moon this morning, absolutely beautiful! This time of year seems to always be the best for moon watching. Shortly after I took this photo, the sun was rising in the east and the moon was still shining brightly in the west - perfect!

The best news that I have heard all day! Bush is planning on making it easier to bike in National Parks (click here for story) before he leaves office! We are planning a big trip out to the Maah Daah Hey this weekend. Part of that trail goes right through the south section of the Theodore National Park. Of course the horse trailers are allowed to pull right in and saddle up. Mountain bikers have to go AROUND the park on another trail that takes you way out of the way. I have hiked and biked in horse legal areas. In my opinion, horses cause a lot more erosion then a mountain bike. Mountain bikes do not leave a mess as horses do. I have nothing against horses, but I am against letting horses in when mountain bikes have to stay on the bike rack. Of course this debate will never end. Way to go President Bush!

We have been riding/training/racing our cyclocross bikes along the river in downtown Moorhead since September. The scheduled training ride tonight was called off because the whole course and I mean the whole course is under water from the heavy rain that inundated the Red River last weekend. Bummer. Even if the river drops it will be tough for it to dry out with the cooler weather and considerable less daylight. Might have to switch to plan B whatever that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great news about Bush on the mountain biking! Letting the Park Rangers make the decisions and leaving Washington out of it....
I liked his last comment after riding through Napa County wine country, "We're able to enjoy the beauty without really disrupting pristine nature of the place. It's a classic way for mankind to enjoy God's gift."
Amen to that!
Ellefsons