Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rollag or Maplelag?

Any serious cyclist that lives around the Fargo/Moorhead area knows that Wednesday nights during the summer are sacred. Wednesday night is the night for Rollag. A hammer fest road bike ride in the hills in and around Rollag, MN. I personally call it "church night". I use that term when I am flying out of the office on Wednesday at 5:00 with my helmet in one hand and a fresh water bottle in the other. Everyone knows that I am not going to church, but that I am going to the areas premier cycling grounds.
Last night was no different until I was heading home and got a call from those not to be named that he was cancelling due to the "lack of preparedness". With the weather being marginal and the attendance uncertain I made a judgment call on 19th avenue about 5 minutes from home. Screw it, I am going to Maplelag and hit Jay's single track. Rollag will be there all summer. Maplelag will be there all summer too, but this time of year with no leaves and no bugs makes for some seriously fun riding.
The hour drive time was spent listening to the news and purging my mind from the days crunch. I was not able to get a hold of the Richard's and was planning on riding by myself, but the whole Richard's family was home and I was going to get the pleasure to ride with the MNCSC Sport Champion Jake Richards around the famous Maplelag single track.


Jake hitting the drops by the lake. Ice still in full force.


Jake hammering up Suicide hill. He makes it look sooooo easy.


Spring is beautiful. Ponds are free of ice and everything is ready to grow for the season.


This is the course per my Garmin. Looks confusing, but it flows nicely all the way through.

When we were done riding, I was able to catch up with the Richard's family and hear about their vacation in Mexico. Last year we were there and next year hope to repeat. It was nice to catch up.

On the way home, it was confirmed that I made the right decision. Riding my mountain bike was just what I needed. Thanks Jake for taking the time.

Rollag next week.......maybe.

1 comment:

Jay Richards said...

glad you could come out.
hopefully next wed we are good to go.