Monday, December 10, 2012

Winter?

It's cold....one thing missing is a thick coat of white covering the ground.  The weather guys baited us all last week for a potential snow event.  Saturday was looking promising, but later in the evening the temps dropped like a rock.  I know from experience that snow likes warmer temps - we were doomed.  Fargo might have received 2 inches but that blew around so much that there are just a few drifts, thats it.  Less then 60 miles south of Fargo there was 6+ inches.  Minneapolis was blessed with over 12 inches!

I am on a big time streak for riding my bike to work.  In fact March 2013 will be two consecutive years that I have commuted to work via bike.  I will admit that I have accepted rides home due to an activity but I have not taken a ride to the office even once.  Trust me, there have been many times that I would appreciate a warm vehicle to ride in.  But I know that 5 minutes into any ride regardless of the temperature, rain or wind I am happy to be on two wheels.  I have been this way since the first pedal stroke over 45 years ago.  I have nothing to prove at all just pure enjoyment......

Ben started the 2012/2013 Fargo North Boys swim season the Monday after Thanksgiving.  2 weeks of training followed by the first meet last Friday evening against Moorhead High.
Ben and the Fargo North team had some winning results.  Ben is seriously devoted and working his butt off.  The results will show - it is a long season.  Kriston and I are in full swim mode and looking forward to everything associated.  We will miss Matt competing this year but know that Matt is in the right place in SD.  All good.
Matt knows how much I am freaked by snakes and thought it would be fun to send me this picture with a Ball Python wrapped around his hand.  Matt KNOWS that I would NEVER hold a snake.  I respect snakes and appreciate their place in the world but I'm am a major chicken when it comes to being anywhere near a snake on the crawl.
Matt is finishing up finals this week before heading home for almost a month.  It will be excellent having him home.  I plan on whipping him into shape - lots of training in store.  If the snow cooperates and since Matt is out of the pool - skiing will be included......
Matt Engen and I braved the 5 degree temperatures and strong wind Sunday afternoon for a couple laps around MB Johnson park in North Moorhead.  Matt is always up for an adventure and will jump on his bike anytime anyplace.  Matt was ripping up the slippery single track.  We have identical tires but I was sliding all over the place.  I dropped the air pressure which improved things but maybe I should have dropped a bit more to keep up.  Excellent day on the bike in spite of the cold.
The house is ready!  Kriston was starting to get a frowny face due to the Christmas tree not being up until today.  Now she happy!!!!  Kriston and Gabi did a sweet job decorating.
Gabi is here for a couple more weeks.  She has been a pleasure to have around.  We have learned a lot about Brazil and of course she is absorbed and learning a lot about our culture.  Not sure she appreciates the cold temps but she will adapt.

No comments: