Monday, September 5, 2011

Laddies Loppet 2011

It has been a Labor Day tradition for the last 20 years for the Wenzel's to participate in the annual Laddies Loppet up at Maplelag resort.  The Loppet seems to put a cap on the summer stuff and officially kick start fall into full gear.
As usual, this years event did not disappoint.  The Richard family and staff of employees and volunteers pulled out all of the strings and ran a top notch mountain bike celebration!
Check out www.skinnyski.com for tons of photos and list of results for all three races.
The following are some photos that either I took or someone with my camera took probably Ben or Kriston.  
Ben has discovered that he has the capabilities and the desire to race a bike.  I had on old Gary Fisher Paragon hanging in our storage unit that was collecting dust the last couple of years.  Ben found it and learned that he could make the bike fly through the woods.  The bike has a 32/14 single speed set up which makes it tough to get rolling but Ben makes it fly.  Unfortunately Ben snapped the chain on the Saturday morning TT and had to walk it in, but he ended up winning the Citizens class short track stage by a long shot.
Matt raced the Comp class and rode strong in both the TT and Short track events.  Again, check Skinnyski for the results.  I am in that pack someplace but did not see anything but the back of Matt's Maplelag jersey all weekend.
Jake Richards ripping it in the Pro/Expert short track.  I have watched Jake grow up on a bike and always enjoy watching him ride.  He is one of the smoothest in the business.  I am guessing that is one of the O bros. in the Maplelag kit behind Jake.  Lots of us waving the flag this weekend.
Tony Schmitz making the famous Laddies Loppet lake side drops look easy. 
Chad Weisgram, back from the Masters Road Race championships out in Bend, OR in time to make the XC race Sunday morning.  Unfortunately CW blew a rear tube and had to DNF.  He was cool about it but I know it killed him to not finish the race.  The CFTF is only two weeks away which will suit Chad very well.
Tom Heilman in the pack before the first drop.  Matt and I rode with Tom out in Montana last July so I knew Tom was going to handle the technicality of the Maplelag course without a problem.
Always good to see Matt Johnson and family at Maplelag - good people.  Their kids are growing like weeds.  I bump into Matt regularly.  In fact, Matt and I logged a few miles this Spring at that crazy Ragnorok 105.  Matt is a hard core, rides all year and a lot of it on a single speed going to the office.
Something to keep in mind as Matt and I kitted up for our race that started at 1:15 Sunday afternoon.
Matt out on the course.  Matt's wave started 2 minutes before mine did so I knew I was not going to see him throughout the race.  Matt said he battled with Tucker Hibbert for most of the race before Tucker pulled away on the last half of the second lap.  That's cool.
I don't typically show photos of myself, but I thought Ben did a nice job on this regardless of who it is.  I was working my ass off and had a great race.  Loved every single peddle stroke of the whole weekend!
Matt on the podium for winning his age devision.  Kriston in the foreground helping out with awards.  Kriston enjoys the Maplelag weekend as much as her boys do.  She has met and befriended a bunch of good people and loves to catch up with Jonell.
Tony Schmitz's oldest daughter Eleni sporting a new Maplelag shirt which sums it up!
I could go on and on about how great the weekend was but will wrap it up.
Have a good week.

2 comments:

T.Schmitz said...

Good Post Steve! Great to see you and your family this past weekend! Fun times. Got a chuckle with the photo of Matt on the podium. *(Marlo in the background on the rock raising her hand like Matt!) PRICELESS!

Jay Richards said...

It wouldn't be the Loppet weekend without the Wenzels. Appreciate the support and the help post race once again. Looking forward to riding with you before the snow flies.