Friday morning I left Fargo with Matt Engen and John Struchynski to Mineral Point, WI for the 1st annual Unnamed Epic mountain bike race. The race was marketed as a 75 mile point to point mountain bike race utilizing trails that were destined for Olympic use in the event that Chicago got the green light for the summer games. As we were traveling to Mineral Point, the topography was beautiful! Lots of rolling hills and rocky outcroppings untouched by glacial formation, way different then what I am use to in ND.
Midwestern pro road riders Pat Lemieux and Adam Bergman were in attendance which promised to keep things interesting at the front.
The neutral roll out gave the riders a feel for the hills after the first turn with a serious climb at the end of the first block. My legs were not warm and the pace was high, it was going to be a great day!
The first 50 miles of the race clicked right by. In fact, I would almost say it was a road race. There were a few miles that were on bumpy two track and grassy fields, but the majority of the miles were on paved bike trails or reworked rail road beds. My goal was to hang with the pace lines and work my way up as much as possible before the scheduled tough single track sections played out the last 25 miles of the race.
I chose my Gunnar rigid bike over my full suspension which I felt was a good choice due to the Gunnar's lighter weight and ability to climb more efficiently. I had my tires at 40 psi the first 50 miles and I dumped at least half before hitting the single track.
The single track........Blue Mound State Park has a system of single track that we utilized for two loops during the last leg of the race. Here I was all tired out from the first 50 miles of pace line racing and now we get to hit the fun stuff. Right away I knew things were going to get interesting. There are a lot of rocks and roots that came into play throughout. I was working the course to avoid a pinch flat and run as efficient as possible. The single track was sweet to say the least, it was set up to work the side of the hills and down into the draws back up again and around the park completely. By the time we were half way through the first loop, I was catching guys that had pulled away on the fast stuff which gave me a big boost of confidence.
About 2/3rds through the first leg, Pat Lemieux came though questioning his position. Pat was the first guy to lap me and was hauling the mail! I have known Pat since he was a baby and watched him develop into one of the elite riders of the upper midwest. I am proud of his efforts and dedication and cheered him on as he dropped me like I was standing still.
One single track lap down, one to go. Racers were cashing in their chips like crazy. I rode most of the 2nd lap by myself and by my watch had a negative split the second time through. I am sure that it helped that I knew what was coming and I was confident in my tire pressure to hit things more aggressively.
The finish was at the top of the park in the wide open sun. I could go through how things sorted out with the other guys I raced but it was way different then a typical mountain bike race. The Epic side of the race name spoke for itself. Check out all of the results right here.
Overall the race was very well organized and a great event. After riding in CO for a week earlier in August followed by Matt and my "against the wind heat ride" last Sunday I was in shape for this race. I am always stressing about the correct nutrition during an epic ride along with being prepared for anything that might go wrong. My preparation paid off because I ate and drank right and had no mechanicals all day which is all good.
I am blessed with an awesome bride and family that give me the opportunity to partake on crazy adventures like this. Road trips getting to the events with like minded people, camping in cool places and getting to ride my bike all over the country is what I do. I am lucky. Cheers!
Monday, August 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment