Monday, July 19, 2010
Elk River Racing
Race #6 of the MNSCS race series was held last Sunday at the Hillside Park in Elk River, MN. Matt and I had a window and we booked early to make the 11am Sport Race start.
As we arrived, you could tell that there had been damage in the woods from the previous evenings storms that rolled through. From what I heard, the trail crews started cutting at 5am to get things cleaned out. Nice job!
Matt and I had ridden the course earlier this Spring and had a good idea what we were in for. The course is known for its lengthy single track that utilizes the terrain nicely.
Over 130 Sport riders participating which meant that we were off in a number of waves. Matt's group was the second wave, I was the third. With all the single track, I knew that I was in for some passing.
I had a good position at the start and used it to my advantage going into the trees in the top 10. It did not take long to get mixed in with the slower riders. I have learned over the years to let things sort themselves out and then attack at will. I felt great, had chosen my rigid Gunnar for racing and knew the course well enough to make up some ground quickly.
Matt started 2 minutes in front of me and was in the middle of the course when his chain jumped over the top sprocket and was wedged between his spokes. I rode by him and he told me to keep going. He had all of the tools required and knows what he is doing so I kept racing.
I had a good race. Other then a couple of missed judgments in passing and a few shoulders into trees I did not have any issues. Check out all of the results by clicking here.
After I finished I went to the truck to see if Matt decided to pack it in due to his mechanical. Matt was not around so I knew he was on course finishing up. Matt had to use a chain breaker to split his chain, pull it through the gears, get things straightened out and re-connect the chain. All total, 20 minutes to get back on the bike. I was proud that he stuck it out in spite of the bugs bitting him and the loss of time in the race. By checking the posted results he was flying on the second loop and would have had a good chance to make it on the podium, thats racing.
There is an old race car door leaning against a tree on the single track. The artwork above was done by a local artist using other parts of the car to fashion a single track idol. Nice.
Red Bull rig. Well represented.
Who needs a jersey, I have a tattoo.
Getting comfortable.
I made the podium in the old guy's class. Rob Belz was second. Check out Rob's blog on my home page link. Rob will be out in CO with us in a couple of weeks.
It had been awhile since Matt and I had participated in an MTB race. It was good to see all of the people that we have met over the years again. Looking forward to the next one.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment